5.13.2009

Recession Toffee

My friend Alexandra is living in London right now while she's in school and I know that this blog post will be right up her alley. We're in a recession, right? So, what better way to celebrate than to make "candy" out of normal things like saltine crackers? Seriously, I saw this recipe online and thought I would barf in my mouth. Then I thought about it some more and realized it might not be so bad. The salty/sweet combination is great and these could not be easier. Please enjoy!

Recession (redneck) Toffee

Ingredients:
Saltine crackers -- you'll need enough to cover your cookie sheet, like 25-30
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped nuts (I used almonds)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Spray cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray and line with crackers
3. In a saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar over low heat
4. Bring mixture to a boil for 3 minutes and immediately pour over crackers
5. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes
6. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Spread chocolate chips so that they melt over the hot crackers. Then sprinkle with nuts
7. Cut and enjoy

4 comments:

Annie said...

I've made this before, it is pretty good. Also, I've seen the same recipe made with graham crackers.

sweet-tempered said...

Hey, can you mail me some saltines? They don't have them here. And I really need some recession toffee. Thanks:)

165 Malpas Rd.
Brockley
London, England
SE4 1Bq

Harbormom said...

Kyle, look at the date on this post. It's May. May, Kyle. Surely you have fed Jason something since May? I know for sure he ate birthday cake and ice cream at Rivers' birthday party. But that's been weeks and weeks ago. So whassup, man? You quit cookin' or what?

Micah - Dinnerware said...

I'm wishing a prosperous 2011 to all. Happy new year!