10.11.2008

ABC Bread (Almond, Banana, & Coconut)

I love to bake on the weekends if I have time. This morning, I got up, made some coffee, turned on some music (click here to listen to my "Baking Mix") and I decided to bake something for Jason. I found this recipe from a new blog that I just discovered. Jason doesn't love bananas, and neither do I, but this recipe sounded really good. After he tried a bite, he agreed that even though this recipe has 4 bananas in it, you don't really taste it (same goes for the coconut, it's there, but just a hint).

Almond Banana Coconut Bread:
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
4 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 2 cups)
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
3/4 cup almonds (slivered or chopped), toasted

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. To toast almonds, place in skillet on medium low heat, when you smell them, they're ready
3. Continue the same process with coconut -- the coconut will toast much faster and can easily burn, so watch it!!
4. In a mixing bowl, sift flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda
5. In a mixer, blend butter until smooth and creamy
6. Add sugars and mix on medium speed for a couple of minutes
7. Add eggs and beat well
8. Add vanilla and coconut milk
9. Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture, mix just until the flour is all mixed in
10. Stir in the toasted almonds & coconut by hand
11. Place in baking dishes for 40-45 minutes......let cool for 10 minutes before serving


Four perfect loaves every time!! I bet you're thinking....."Wow, cool pan Kyle!! Where can I get one?" Well, here's the link to get your own. I love this pan because you can get more loaves baked at the same time and it's just easier to deal with than four individual loaf pans. Don't forget, several holidays are just around the corner and this bread would be a great gift for people you don't want to spend money on!

No comments: