10.20.2008

Thank You Paula Deen


Like her or not, Paula Deen has some good recipes. Tonight, I made Boursin Potatoes. Boursin is a garlic-herb cheese spread. It's really good for a party, but it's even better with potatoes. We also began chipping away at our freezer full of meat, so I also cooked a couple of steaks. The combination of steak with this sauce from the potatoes was out of this world. You will have to try this soon!

Boursin Potatoes:
5-6 Yukon Gold potatoes, skins on, sliced thinly
2 shallots, chopped
1 cup whipping cream
2.5 ounces Boursin Cheese (I could only find the 5 ounce package, so I just halved it)
Salt & Pepper

Directions:
1. Slice the potatoes very thinly and chop shallots
2. Place half of the potatoes and shallots into a glass baking dish (round is better)
3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
4. In a sauce pot, slowly heat cream and whisk in the Boursin cheese until melted
5. Pour half of the cream mixture over the potatoes
6. Top with remaining potatoes and shallots
7. Season with salt and pepper
8. Pour remaining cream mixture on top
9. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for one hour

** The steak turned out great as well. If you don't have a cast iron skillet, you should ask for one for Christmas (or Hanukkah). First, I rubbed the steaks with olive oil and Greek Seasoning. I haven't talked about Greek Seasoning very much on this blog, but I use it all the time. I prefer Cavender's if you can find it. Then, I heat the iron skillet on the stove and brown both sides of the steaks (about 5 minutes on each side). Then I top each steak with butter and finish them off in the oven for about 15 minutes or so. I love steaks on the grill, but this method is also a great way to cook steaks.



No comments: