10.04.2008

Chocolate Souffle Pudding Cake

Tonight, we got take out from a local (and kinda scary) restaurant, Baily & Cato's. Well I guess the old saying is true, "Nothing goes better with Soul Food than Chocolate Souffle Pudding Cake." Ok, ok, maybe I just made that up, but if you say it enough times it sort of sounds like an old saying.

This recipe came from a cookbook that I love, Chocolate from the Cake Mix Doctor. Anne Byrn has several cookbooks where she takes an ordinary box cake mix, adds a few extra ingredients, and creates something magical. I don't think she's a real doctor, but I would put my life in her hands because everything I've made from her cookbook has been awesome!


Chocolate Souffle Pudding Cake:
2 cups miniatrue marshmallows
1 package Devil's Food Cake Mix (we screwed up and used plain Chocolate Cake and it was fine)
3 large eggs
1 1/3 cups water
2 cups packed light brown sugar
1/2 unsweetened cocoa powder
3 1/2 cups boiling water

1. Line a greased 9x13 pan with marshmallows
2. In your mixer, mix together cake mix, eggs, 1 1/3 cup of water for 1 minute on low speed
3. Scrape down the sides and mix for 2 minutes on medium speed
4. Pour batter over the marshmallows
5. Mix together the brown sugar and cocoa powder and sprinkle on top of the batter
6. Pour the 3 1/2 cups of boiling water over the top of the entire mixture
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes - you want the edges to be firm but the center to be jiggly
8. Let cool for 20 minutes before eating



It's sort of like an old-fashioned hot fudge sundae cake that my grandmother used to make. (Taylor, you should make this for Marley!)



I served it in mugs, and it was so good. I know what you're thinking - Two Girls, One Cup (you didn't think I could work in that reference did you?).....yes, like many of our recipes, it might not look great, but trust me, this is delicious!!

2 comments:

ND said...

yes..love spain..thanks for the comment.i feel hungry looking at all the nice food in your blog..

Clan Hill said...

Make it for Marley? Make it for me!! I might have to make that for dessert after dinner tonight! It looks and sounds delicious.